The Best Fiber Supplement
Fiber is an important nutrient in the body.
In simpler terms, one can refer to fiber as carbohydrates that cannot be digested by your gut.
Fiber is classified into either soluble or insoluble fiber depending on whether it dissolves in water or not. Soluble fiber is a type of fiber that attracts water and forms a gel. This gel slows down the digestion process and is good for people who want to shed off some weight. Foods rich in soluble fiber include legumes, nuts, oats and edible plant skins.
Insoluble fiber on the other hand, is a type of fiber that repels water. This means that it cannot be digested and can be found in foods like fruits, seeds, nuts, whole grain foods, wheat bran and vegetables.
Importance of Fiber in the body
- Soluble fiber helps with blood sugar control in the body.
- High fiber diet lowers risk of heart disease.
- Makes your digestion faster.
- Cleans your intestines acting like a scrub brush.
- Maintain bowel health.
- Lowers cholesterol levels.
- Normalizes bowel movements.
Top 5 Dietary Fiber Supplements
#1 NOW Pysllium Husk Powder
Psyllium is a type of fiber mostly used like a gentle, bulk-forming laxative. A soluble fiber can pass through your digestive system without being absorbed or completely broken down. Instead, this supplement absorbs water forming a viscous compound that helps in constipation, blood sugar, blood pressure, weight loss, cholesterol and diarrhea.
- Helps to relieve constipation.
- May help to treat diarrhea.
- Helps control appetite thus aiding in weight loss.
- It has prebiotics benefits.
- Lowers cholesterol levels and is good for the heart.
- May lead to gas or stomach cramping.
- Leads to obstruction or blockages in the gastrointestinal tract.
- May cause allergic reactions.
#2 Metamucil Multi-Health Fiber Supplement
Metamucil is a fiber supplement that was introduced in 1934. Adding this supplement to your diet is a great way to add fiber and multi-health benefits to your day. Metamucil helps one feel less hungry because of the viscous gel it forms that aids in the feeling of fullness. This supplement also helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol levels and promote a healthy digestive system.
- Good fiber content
- Promotes digestive health.
- Helps in appetite control.
- Lowers cholesterol levels in the body to promote a healthy heart.
- Contains 100% natural psyllium fiber.
#3 L’il Critters Fiber Gummy Bears
L’il critters fiber gummy bears are fiber supplement great for supporting your child digestive system. This supplement is sourced from berries, strawberries and lemon flavors. One serving of fiber gummy bears contains 3 grams of fiber, which is gluten free. As a dietary supplement, physicians’ advice parents to give their children up to 2 gummy bears per day. Ensure that your kid chews each gummy bear thoroughly and carefully.
- Contain Probiotics that help improve digestion.
- Just one serving of l’il critter gummy fiber contain as much fiber as 4 prunes.
- It is made using natural flavors and colors.
- Some complain that the gummy bears are too chewy.
#4 Kirkland Signature Fiber Supplements
Kirkland fiber supplements contain 100% natural psyllium husk fiber, which is a great way to increase your daily fiber intake. The supplement is a natural soluble dietary fiber that quickly dissolves in foods and drinks. It is flavor free, sugar free and non-thickening fiber supplement. Kirkland dietary supplements support a healthy digestive system in a much easier way. One can become creative and add Kirkland supplements to any soft foods like yoghurt, oatmeal and much more.
- Daily source of soluble fiber.
- Used for occasional constipation.
- Promotes normal function of the bowel movement.
- Helps restore regularity in the digestive system.
- Can cause allergic reaction to persons sensitive to indigestion.
- Without adequate fluid, it may swell and block your throat leading to chocking.
#5 Pure for Men Fiber Supplements
Pure for men fiber is a high quality premium dietary fiber supplement that promotes personal hygiene as well as digestive cleanliness. Mostly they are in form of capsules that contain a mix of special fibrous materials designed to clear bowel movements. The all natural fiber supplements are a blend of chia, flax seeds and psyllium husk which are act as cleansing agent for your digestive system.
- Keeps your runway clear.
- The supplements give bulk and form to your bowel movements.
- It lowers your risk of heart disease.
- It helps to pick up excess debris in your digestive tract.
- It is a better way for your rectal health.
- During the first few days of use, one may be uncomfortable with the feeling of being unusually full.
- One needs to constantly use the supplements for them to work effectively.
- It is not easy for one to remember taking the pills on a daily basis.
It is important to be keen on the type of fiber supplement you purchase. This is because fiber supplements appear to be a healthy way to add fiber intake, but other supplements don’t provide any health benefits.